How do you report a rape or sexual assault?

This can be done by the victim or a third party, by:

  • Calling 999 – if you are in immediate danger or the offence has just occurred

  • Calling the Northumbria Police control room on 101

  • Going to a police station

We work in partnership with other agencies who support the victims of such crimes, and various services are available should you wish to talk to someone about what has happened - either before reporting the matter to the police or after. If you do not wish to report the matter to the police, you may prefer to talk to someone in confidence from one of the other agencies (see previous page), your GP or another health professional.

If you are not sure you want to report it to the police, you can talk to other agencies, including:

  • The R.E.A.C.H. centre ( R.E.A.C.H helps women and men aged 16 or over who have been raped or sexually assaulted. The centres are staffed by women who are experienced in dealing with the effects of rape and sexual assault. They are happy to help you whether or not you wish to contact the police. If you do decide to report the assault, they can help you do that and act as a contact for you.

  • Victims First  ( Victims First is a local charity which helps people affected by crime. They provide free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime.

  • Sexual Assault Counselling and Information Service – Tyneside Rape Crisis Centre ( Tyneside Rape Crisis Centre (TRCC) is a local charity based in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne, providing services for women aged 16 or over who have been raped or sexually abused.

  • Further information about other support agencies is available on the R.E.A.C.H website: