• You register with an internet based dating agency or join an online dating chat room.
• You receive contact from someone who shows interest in you and gradually you develop a long distance relationship through emails, instant messaging, texting and phone calls.
• Once the fraudsters are confident that you have enough sympathy they will tell you about a problem they are experiencing and ask you to help out by sending money.
• Trust your instinct, if you think something feels wrong, it probably is.
• Never send money or give credit card details or bank account
details to anyone you have never met or to anyone you don’t
actually know or trust.
• Never reply to communications from someone who meet you on a
dating site or chat room and then wants to communicate by email.
• Fraudsters will often tell you to keep your online relationship a
secret, never agree to this.