The prosecuting authority in England for noise nuisance is your local authority. 

The police within England and Wales have very limited powers to deal with noise nuisance.

Police should be contacted if there is a risk of harm to an individual or damage to their property. They should also be contacted if there is a person present at the private dwelling who has been identified as vulnerable.

Where domestic violence is suspected to be linked to the noise please contact the police as soon as possible on 999.

Issues such as faulty house and car alarms or music from nearby entertainment premises or pubs can cause annoyance and stress to residents if not addressed. More often than not making people aware of the problem will resolve it.

If the noise is coming from a private dwelling, or as a result of a party within a private dwelling, then contact your local authority. 

In certain circumstances it may not be appropriate for a member of the public to attempt to approach the noisy party. For example a vulnerable elderly resident. In such cases where vulnerability is an issue please contact 101 and allow the police to make an assessment as to the most appropriate course of action to resolve the issue.

Who deals with this?

Your local authority environmental health department has legal powers to deal with noise. In the first instance where vulnerability is not an issue, contact your local Council.


Contact Information

Further Guidance

Statutory noise nuisance is defined in part 3 of the 1990 Environmental Protection Act, as amended by the statutory nuisance act 1993 to deal with statutory nuisance.

If a nuisance is found to exist and is likely to occur or re-occur an abatement notice can be issued. A council can prosecute or apply for a warrant from a JP to seize and remove offending equipment. A council can apply for a deprivation order to allow the offending equipment to be retained. 

Dated: 04 Jul 2016