Misconduct - 064/17
Dated: 10 Feb 2017
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 16 January 2017 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. The number of complaints about police officers illegally accessing the Police National Computer
2. The number of complaints about force civilian staff illegally accessing the Police National Computer
3. Please detail the outcome of those complaints (numbers of police officers disciplined/prosecuted/suspended/sacked/no action, numbers of police staff disciplined/prosecuted/suspended/sacked/no action)
4. Please detail for what purposes (where known) those police officers and staff unlawfully accessed the PNC
Please provide the information for calendar years 2014, 2015, 2016 –Jan-Dec
By 'complaints' please consider all complaints made by members of the public or anyone else to the police force regarding unlawful access of the PNC. "
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Professional Standards Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
The following information has been extracted from a Live database and may be subject to the addition and deletion of complaints, complainants and subjects after the initial extraction of data used for the purposes of this report.
1. Four complaints regarding Police Officers inappropriately accessing the Police National Computer from date range 01/01/2014 to 31/12/2016.
2. One complaint regarding Civilian Staff inappropriately accessing the Police National Computer from date range 01/01/2014 to 31/12/2016.
3. & 4.
|1||Local resolution||Non policing purposes|
|2||No case to answer||Non policing purposes|
|3||No case to answer||Non policing purposes|
|4||Local resolution||Non policing purposes|
|1||Investigated, no action required||Non policing purposes|
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.