Front office closures - 694/13
Dated: 08 Oct 2013
Date of request: 16/09/2013
Date of response: 02/10/2013
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')(FOIA)
Thank you for your email dated 16 September 2013 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1) Please can you say whether any "front desk" counters (i.e a facility at local police stations where the public can speak directly to officers/civilian staff) in your force area closed in 2009/2010/2011/2012 and 2013 (to date)?
2) If the answer to the above is yes, please can you provide the address and the year in which the front desk closed?
3) Please can you provide information on whether front desk counters have reduced the length of time they are open to the public in the years 2009/2010/2011/2012 and 2013 (to date)?
4) Again, please could you provide the address, and the year, of each front desk where the number of hours it is open to the public have been reduced.
5) If possible, please can you give details of any reduction in hours e.g "in 2010 open from 9am to 5pm, 2013 open 9am to 4pm"?
6) The estimated financial savings of closing any "front desk" counters in the years 2009/2010/2011/2012 and 2013 (to date)?
7) The estimated financial savings of reducing the hours of any "front desk" counters in 2009/2010/2011/2012 and 2013 (to date)?
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Finance and Business Support Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
There have been no such closures. The Force has not reduced its cover policy during the time period in question.
The only change has been the reprovision of services at the new Middle Engine Lane site which resulted in Wallsend Police Station, closing in November 2010 to be replaced by Middle Engine Lane at the same time.
You may be interested to know that the locations and opening hours of our police stations are published on the Northumbria Police website.
In order to assist I have provided the relevant link below.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.
How to complain
If you are unhappy with our decision or do not consider that we have handled your request properly and we are unable to resolve this issue informally, you are entitled to make a formal complaint to us under our complaints procedure which can be found at: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/foi/disclosurelog/foicomprights.asp
If you are still unhappy after we have investigated your complaint and reported to you the outcome, you may complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office and request that they investigate to ascertain whether we have dealt with your request in accordance with the Act.