Speeding - 520/16
Dated: 28 Apr 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 20 April 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. Could you please supply me with the make and model of speed camera in use from a mobile camera van operating on Benton Lane (A188) in the NE12 area on March 22nd 2016.
2. Could you please supply me with the evidence used to determine the above location as a valid site for safety camera operation - specifically the KSI (Killed / Seriously Injured) data used in assessing the location but also including any other data or evidence considered relevant at the point the decision was taken.
3. Could you please provide me with a copy of the procedures used for evaluating whether or not to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution where the evidence gathered by a mobile camera operator shows more than one vehicle (moving or stationary) in the photograph.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Operations Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. The camera used is a Lastech LTI 20:20 ultralyte 1000 laser speed measurement device with Compact Flash System
2. As the information you have requested at this point is accessible by other means I have not provided you with a copy of the information and will rely on Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You should therefore consider this a refusal for that part of your request.
I have provided an explanation to this exemption below.
Section 21 (1) - Information accessible by other means
Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant is exempt information.
This information is published on the Document Library section of the Northumbria Safer Roads Initiative website http://www.safespeedforlife.co.uk/
3. The cross hairs and laser are aligned (synchronised) at the start of enforcement and it is the location of the crosshairs on the target vehicle which indicates which vehicle was speeding. The presence of several vehicles in the display has no influence or bearing on the decision to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution. The user manual for this device is downloadable from
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.