FOI complaint rights

Are you unhappy with how your request has been handled or do you think the decision is incorrect?

You have the right to require Northumbria Police to review their decision.

Prior to lodging a formal complaint you are welcome and encouraged to discuss the decision with the case officer that dealt with your request.

Ask to have the decision looked at again –

The quickest and easiest way to have the decision looked at again is to telephone the case officer that is nominated at the end of your decision letter.

That person will be able to discuss the decision, explain any issues and assist with any problems.


If you are dissatisfied with the handling procedures or the decision of Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the Act) regarding access to information you can lodge a complaint with Northumbria Police to have the decision reviewed.

This must be submitted within 40 working days of receipt of your response.

Complaints should be made in writing and addressed to:

Disclosure Section 
Northumbria Police 
4th Floor Cobalt Business Exchange 
Cobalt Park Way 
Newcastle upon Tyne 
NE28 9NZ

The Information Commissioner

After lodging a complaint with Northumbria Police if you are still dissatisfied with the decision you may make application to the Information Commissioner for a decision on whether the request for information has been dealt with in accordance with the requirements of the Act.

For information on how to make application to the Information Commissioner please visit their website at  Alternatively, phone or write to:

Information Commissioner's Office 
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane 
SK9 5AF 
Phone:  01625 545 700