News

Two jailed for conspiracy to burgle

06 Feb 2015 10:38 AM

Two jailed _tcm4-103360 [View Full Size]

Two men have been jailed for a total of 17 years for conspiracy to commit burglary across the region.

Paul Wilson, 43, of Bywell Grove in Shiremoor, North Tyneside, was jailed for 10 years, and Andrew Temple, 19, of Buddle Terrace in West Allotment, North Tyneside, for seven years.

They both appeared at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday, January 30 for sentence after previously pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary.

On Thursday, May 8, police carried out warrants in co-ordinated raids in North Tyneside, Newcastle and Northumberland as part of an investigation into burglaries right across the force.

It was the culmination of a long-running investigation by Northumbria Police to target those burgling homes across the region.

The investigation included more than 50 burglaries across the Sunderland, Durham, Gateshead and Newcastle areas, amounting to around £100,000 worth of suspected stolen goods.

Sunderland Area Command Chief Inspector Jerry Pearson led on the investigation into Wilson.

He said: "Wilson and Temple caused a great deal of devastation and distress to communities right across the north east by breaking into homes and they are where they should be - behind bars.

"The judge in the case praised both the investigation and the professionalism of the officers involved while recognising the misery Wilson and Temple brought to north east communities.

"This should send out a message that we will not tolerate thieves and burglars in our neighbourhoods and will use every tool at our disposal using a variety of tactics to identify those responsible and put them before the courts.

"This is a significant result and means these two will be off the streets for a considerable amount of time.

"There'll be no let up in our activities and we'll continue to do everything we can to identify thieves and burglars and ensure they are dealt with."

The investigation came during the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner supported Operation Soundwave, aimed at tackling those suspected of being involved in theft and burglars across the force, and promoting crime prevention advice.

"Burglary is down right across the force," Chief Insp Pearson added. "There's been 292 fewer victims of burglary this year compared to the same period last year, but we're not complacent.

"A key part of our operations is preventing burglaries from happening in the first place, and while part of this is down to making sure burglars are in prison, crime prevention also plays a vital role."

Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner Vera Baird said: "This conviction shows that Northumbria Police will do everything within its power to get those who commit crimes before the courts. 

"I am determined that the force continues working with communities to reduce crime.  Let this conviction be a warning to other would be burglars that Northumbria Police will catch you."

More crime prevention advice can be found on the force website at http://www.northumbria.police.uk/crimeprevention, while people are urged to sign up to Immobilise at www.immobilise.com.

Police can be contacted on 101 ext 69191, to report a crime ongoing dial 999.