News

Window shot at in Sunderland

17 Sep 2016 07:00 AM

tape-04_tcm4-102209 [View Full Size]

UPDATE: Saturday, September 17

 

A further 12 people have been arrested as part of an ongoing operation following a firearms incident at Craigshaw Square on Monday, September 12. This brings the total number of people arrested to 17.

At around 4.35am on Monday 12th September police were informed a house had been damaged at an address in Clovelly Road in Hylton Castle. Around an hour later a further report was received about bullet holes in a window in Craigshaw Square after the window was shot at with a firearm.

Supt Brad Howe of Southern Area Command said: "Enquiries have been ongoing since the incident and as a result further arrests have been made. This is not the end of this investigation, however it demonstrates the lengths we will go to in order to disrupt this type of criminality. We will not tolerate the criminal use of firearms and will take action at every available opportunity”.

"I want to reassure the community that we are taking this incident extremely seriously and further police activity is likely.

"Extra officers will remain on patrol in the area over the coming days to speak to local residents and answer any concerns they may have and I would urge anyone who is concerned to speak to an officer."

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Five people have now been arrested after a window was shot at in Sunderland.

Around 4.35am on Monday (September 12) police were informed a house had been damaged at an address in Clovelly Road in Hylton Castle. Around an hour later a further report was received about bullet holes in a window in Craigshaw Square after the window was shot at with a firearm.

An investigation was launched and as a result of enquiries into the incidents a number of searches were carried out, yesterday, at two addresses in Hylton Castle and one in Town End Farm.

Three men - aged 48, 29 and 26 – were arrested on suspicion of threats to cause damage. Two further men aged 24 and 27  have also been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder

Southern Area Command Superintendent Brad Howe said: "As a result of our enquiries yesterday we carried out a number of searches at premises in Hylton Castle, South Hylton and Town End Farm utilising armed officers.

"We will not tolerate people going around our city unlawfully discharging firearms and while we do not believe there was ever any risk to the wider public had someone got caught in the crossfire of this dispute the consequences could have been far worse.

"We have made five arrests, however, as our enquiries continue there may be further arrests.

"Our local residents are quite rightly concerned by this and I would like to reassure them that we are relentlessly pursuing all those we suspect of being involved and taking action to disrupt their criminal activity.

"Extra officers will remain on patrol in Hylton Castle and Town End Farm over the coming days to speak to local residents and answer any concerns they may have and I would urge anyone who is concerned to speak to an officer."

Police are continuing to appeal for witnesses and keen to speak to anyone who was in the Hylton Castle area between 2am and 4am yesterday morning.

Anyone with information should contact Northumbria Police on 101 quoting reference 106 120916 or alternatively they can ring the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.



View the full news release