News

Twelve men arrested in connection with Tup Tup Palace drive-by shooting

08 Feb 2017 10:00 AM

Badge 05 Tcm4 102012 [View Full Size]

***UPDATE - FEBRUARY 8 - 10.25AM***

A further four people have been arrested following an operation carried out in Newcastle and Gateshead.

Earlier this morning (Wednesday, February 8) Northumbria Police conducted an operation to search 12 properties.

The operation was launched as part of an on-going enquiry into a drive-by shooting at the Tup Tup Palace nightclub on St Nicholas Street in Newcastle, on June 6, 2015, where a door supervisor was shot and seriously injured.

Police arrested eight men – who are all from Newcastle and aged 53, 51, 50, 36, 29, 29, 25 and 20 – as a result of the operation carried out this morning.

Later this morning officers have arrested a further four men - aged 50, 38, 29, and 28 - in connection with the investigation. All 12 men remain in police custody at this time.

Assistant Chief Constable, Darren Best said:

“This has been a large Police operation which has resulted in a number of arrests. I understand that an operation on this scale will have caused disruption locally to local people, particularly for businesses, and I would like to thank everyone for their patience this morning.”

Police will remain at addresses across Newcastle and Gateshead throughout the day to carry out inquiries and answer any questions from concerned residents in the area.

Anyone who has any information that may help the police investigation into the shooting should contact officers on 101 quoting log 1410 07/06/15 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

 

FIRST RELEASE - FEBRUARY 8 - 6.35AM

Today, Wednesday, February 8, Northumbria Police has conducted an operation to search 12 properties across Newcastle and Gateshead.

Police have arrested eight men following the searches and officers will remain at the addresses throughout the day to carry out enquiries

All those arrested are men from the Newcastle area and are aged 53, 51, 50, 36, 29, 29, 25 and 20. They remain in police custody at this time.

Assistant Chief Constable, Darren Best said: “This has been a large Police operation, which has resulted in a number of arrests.

"I understand that an operation on this scale may have caused disruption, and I am grateful for the patience and support of our communities.”

Extra officers will be on patrol in the area of the searches throughout the rest of the day.