Mobile camera van to deployed at scene of fatal collision in Whitley Bay

23 May 2018 12:00 PM

speed camera van [View Full Size]
A stretch of road where a young jogger was killed is the target of a fresh clampdown on speeding in North Tyneside.
The Links in Whitley Bay has been added as a site for Northumbria Police’s mobile camera enforcement van to enforce the recent 30 mph limit which was implemented by the local authority.
A 40mph speed limit had been in place on the road – also known as the A193 – but local residents repeatedly complained of speeding drivers.
The road was in the news last week after two young men were jailed for a total of more than 10 years for killing a jogger.
Joshua Cherukara, 20, and Henry Cable, 18, admitted causing death by dangerous driving after racing each other on the road just moments before Cherukara lost control and killed 18-year-old William Dorey.
Now Motor Patrols Inspector, Dean Hood, has confirmed the speed limit will be enforced by the Force’s mobile camera enforcement vans.
He said: “There has been more than one serious collision on this stretch of road in recent years so we really welcome this speed restriction. 
“Local residents have been expressing their concerns over motorists exceeding the speed limits on this road and we are responding to these concerns.
“To ensure that the 30mph limit is adhered to, we will be deploying our mobile camera enforcement vans to ensure that any speeding drivers are held to account. 
“If we catch you breaking the speed limit then you could face points on your licence and a heavy fine. 
“That is a small price to pay when you look at what the families of those killed and injured on this road have had to go through as a result of a speeding driver.
“Our message to drivers is simple. Always take care on the roads, adhere to the speed limit and respect other road users so everyone can make it home safely.”
A temporary speed limit had been in place on the road which meant it was not suitable for deployment of a mobile camera enforcement van.
The speed limit was made permanent this week which has resulted in the van being deployed on the stretch of roads intermittently.
Note to editors: Unfortunately we do not have anyone available for interview this week as the officer responsible for helping to reduce the limit and get the authority for enforcement is on night shift.