Man jailed for brutal assault in Newcastle beer garden

05 Sep 2018 10:00 AM

Ahmad, Faisal [View Full Size]
A violent thug who repeatedly stamped on the head of his victim before smashing a glass ash tray over his head has been jailed.
Faisal Ahmad, 43, had been chatting to an 50-year-old associate in the beer garden of the Old George Inn in the moments before the attack.
The pair had been drinking in the same pub - located on the Cloth Market - before going outside for a cigarette.
But they got involved in a drunken argument before Ahmad lost his temper and pushed his victim to the floor.
He then proceeded to stamp on the man's head, throwing it back onto the cobbled street and knocking him unconscious.
The man then delivered two more kicks to the man's head before grabbing a glass ashtray from a table.
He smashed it into the back of the head of his unconscious victim before being ushered away by members of the public.
Emergency services were called and Ahmad's victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries but miraculously suffered no lasting damage.
The 43-year-old was arrested by police following the assault in November last year and charged with wounding with intent.
However, a week after the attack Ahmad was arrested again after turning up at the victim's home armed with a hammer.
At court Ahmad pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent. He also admitted witness intimidation and possession of an offensive weapon.
Now Ahmad has been jailed for a total of six years at his sentencing hearing at Newcastle Crown Court last Tuesday (August 28).
Following the case, Detective Constable Keith Howells said the brutal attack could have easily led to a fatality.
DC Howells, of Northumbria Police's Central CID, said: "Having reviewed the CCTV I can confidently say that the victim could have been killed.
"We regularly talk to the public about how one punch can kill so he is fortunate that he has made a full recovery.
"The first blow knocked him unconscious, so for Ahmad to deliver repeated blows to his head shows how out of control he was.
"He is clearly a violent and dangerous offender so I am glad to see a judge hand down a significant custodial sentence.”
Ahmad was also handed an indefinite restraining order preventing him from contacting the victim in the case.