Detectives investigating after £100k of cash and jewellery stolen in Newcastle burglaries
05 Oct 2018 16:00 PM[View Full Size]
Detectives are investigating after more than £100,000 worth of high-value jewellery and cash was stolen in a spate of burglaries in Newcastle.
Since June Northumbria Police have received nine different reports of high value jewellery and cash being stolen from properties in Gosforth, Kingston Park, Fawdon, Fenham and Scotswood.
It is estimated that the value of the stolen goods could be in excess of £100,000 but the total value is at this stage unknown.
Now officers are reassuring the public that “specialist detectives” have been assigned to the case in a bid to identify those responsible.
Chief Inspector Angela Hufton said: "I want to reassure residents in Newcastle that specialist detectives are investigating these burglaries.
"There have been some very high value items stolen and many of them are of great sentimental value to their owners.
"We are keeping an open mind as to whether the same people are responsible but it is unusual to have a spate of similar burglaries in a short space of time.
"I have personally met some of those victims and met with key members of the community to reassure them about our investigation.
"We have provided them with some advice on how to make their homes more secure to deter criminals from targeting their address.
"However, we are now also appealing for help from the public. If you have seen anything suspicious in your local community then get in touch with police.
"You are the eyes and ears of police in your local community and if you see something that causes you concern then please give us a call."
The incidents being investigated by detectives at the Central Burglary Team include burglaries that took place:
- Between 12.45pm and 3pm on Friday, June 22, on Briardene Avenue in Gosforth.
- At around 10.50am on Monday, July 2, on Woodlands in Gosforth.
- Between 8.30am on Saturday, July 21, and 4pm the following day on Montagu Avenue in Gosforth.
- Between 11.45am and 2,50pm on Thursday, September 6, on Redland Avenue in Fawdon.
- Between 4pm and 10.30pm on Friday, September 7, on Hesket Court in Kingston Park.
- Between 7.40pm and 8.25pm on Saturday, September 8, on Baronswood in Gosforth.
- Between 2pm and 8.50pm on Saturday, September 15, on Montagu Avenue in Gosforth.
- Between 11.40am and 12.13pm on Tuesday, September 25, on Wayside in Scotswood.
- At around 10.30am on Tuesday, September 25, on Brand Avenue in Fenham.
Police now want to speak to anyone who may have seen any suspicious people, or vehicles, in the area of the burglaries around the time they were committed.
If you have information you believe could assist the investigation then you should call police on 101 and ask to speak to the Central Burglary Team or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
You can also report online at www.northumbria.police.uk/contact or email firstname.lastname@example.org.